International nonprofit’s open-source software for public policy analysis is excited to expand into the United States
WASHINGTON, January 12, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — PolicyEngine USfree and open source tool that estimates the impact of economic policy reforms, launches today United States. This innovative web application is the first and only product that allows anyone to estimate their taxes and benefits, then design custom policy reforms and estimate how they affect communities and families.
The US PolicyEngine website app allows users to modify hundreds of parameters that define current laws. The tool then estimates the impact of those changes on individual households, as well as societal outcomes such as poverty, inequality, and the budget. It works on any device and requires no technical knowledge.
PolicyEngine US includes the following features:
- Simulates personal income tax federally and in six states to date: Maryland, Massachusetts, New york, Oregon, Pennsylvaniaand Washington
- Models benefit from programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, free and reduced-price school meals, and Supplemental Security Income in all 50 states
- It empowers users to design highly customized policy reforms representing all modeled tax and benefit programs
- Estimates societal impacts at the state and federal levels, including net cost, poverty, inequality, and other distributional consequences
- Produces personal results based on family income and circumstances
- Creates shared maps which shows the results of policy proposals
Max Ghenis, co-founder and CEO of PolicyEngine, said: “Since our launch in the UK, we have helped think tanks, advocacy groups, political parties and ordinary citizens to better understand tax and benefit policy.” “We’re excited that today’s launch and future updates will empower Americans to examine public policy with the same transparency and rigor.”
For more information, visit PolicyEngine’s Start a blog postwhich shows how to use the product to analyze the federal Child Tax Credit reforms.
PolicyEngine is a non-profit that builds free, open source software to calculate the impact of public policy. Our tools help the policy community and the public to understand current policies and evaluate proposed reforms. For more information on PolicyEngine, visit https://policyengine.org.
Follow us on social media: